Saturday, August 8, 2009

How To Beat Bobby Fischer


I am slowly working my way through the Edmar Mednis book called How To Beat Bobby Fischer. I estimate that I started on this book approximately 2 1/2 months ago. Trying to really absorb the games and the analysis given, hence the slow progress. I am currently on game 37 on page 152. Fischer vs. Petrosian,May 23, 1962 round 13. Move 6 for black says 6...BxB. Unless I have gotten those moves wrong somehow, I see no BxB possible on the chessboard. I think that is the first serious typo in the book and have already passed the middle point of the book. And if I continue by assuming that black exchanges the bishop for the knight on c3, I think everything will coincide correctly. Not a huge error in the book. And so far the games have been very entertaining. I will post more, including a picture of the front cover later on as I go through more of the book. Here is the FEN for this position: rnbqk2r/ppp2pp1/4pn1p/3pP3/1b1P4/2N5/PPPB1PPP/R2QKBNR b KQkq - 0 6

Ok. Later on in the same game I found this position with black to move.




And Mednis has given 8.Qg4 instead of Fischers 8.Qa5? . Next, Mednis suggests that black must play 8...Kf8 here. What would be wrong about just plain ole 8... 0-0? I don't understand that annotation. Anyone have any ideas? Did I miss something? Once again, here is the FEN for that board setup: rnbqk2r/ppp2pp1/4p2p/3pP3/3Pn1Q1/2B5/PPP2PPP/R3KBNR b KQkq - 0 8

No comments:

Post a Comment